Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Dead Sea (הים המלח) day holiday


We went to the Dead Sea for the day, and carried off a transportation coup (if I do say so myself).  There's a direct bus (Egged #421) from Tel Aviv (Savidor station), but you need to have reservations, which I had made.  Picking up the tickets was surprisingly easy.  We actually had reserved seats (5&6).  The bus went through Jerusalem, and went south near Jericho and along the Dead Sea.  There was a road washout between Jericho and Ein Gedi, but we didn't need a detour, just had to wait because of one lane of traffic for a few miles.  Of course, the bus wound through Ein Gedi and Masada before it got to the hotels and beach at Ein Bokek (עין בוקק).  I learned that the opera performances are on the Dead Sea side of Masada, which would make it an accessible performance for me (some day).

We took advantage of the nice public beach which I used last year with Anna F.  The weather was cool for the Dead Sea in June (37C), but it was just fine.  The return bus #421 left at 1400, so I had only purchase one-way tickets.  We were able to take advantage of a much later bus (1830) that would return to Beer Sheva (Egged #384).  That goes up the steep side of the mountains and through Arad.  I had forgotten that the bus would talk us past Ben Gurion University and my old apartment.  So then we picked up the train to Tel Aviv, and got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment