Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Coming home

My landlord wasn't able to store my suitcase, so there were no extracurricular activities on Monday.  I headed to the airport around noon because that was my deadline to get out of the apartment.  Spending ~12 hours at Ben Gurion Airport wasn't the most exciting thing, but it's safe, has coffee and bathrooms.  The excitement was not in walking down Rothschild Boulevard with my suitcase, nor getting on the #204 bus with it. Getting out at the train station involved negotiating around a baby stroller before the bus took off, but that was accomplished.  But in the train station, one of the wheels on my suitcase broke, so from that point forward, it was more dragging than rolling. And, mind you, 23.5 kg of dragging.  I'm just so grateful it didn't happen on Rothschild Boulevard. But the floors in the train station and the airport are smooth, so the coefficient of friction was minimized.


View of the side of Ben Gurion Airport-the circular roof is over the big duty-free area behind security
The El Al flight was on a Boeing 787 Dreamliner. A little smaller than a 747,  but still big.  The little screens at each seat are like a tablet (full color, touch screen), and there were 130 movies, and about as many tv shows available.  And the seats in Economy were articulated, and more comfortable (a little) than usual.

The flight was fine as was passport control. But Newark`s floors are carpeted which foiled my dragging strategy.  I pried open my wallet and got one of those airport carts (not before I was convinced of the folly of dragging my suitcase).  Ahh, wheels.  So now I'm all checked in for my Southwest flights home.

I still owe you photos from the light show but I need access to my laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment