Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Volunteering at a farm

Today was a real volunteering day. I got up early and took the train from Tel Aviv to Ashkelon. I was early so I bought a coffee and waited for my friends. We drove down to the moshav on the map (little red rectangle) and joined another group in packing cantaloupe.
That's me in the yellow shirt. The exhausting part wasn't carrying the boxes or reaching into the bins, but choosing 4 or 5 or 6 melons of roughly equal size to put in a carton. Then the cartons were stacked on palettes by number of melons. They were stacked to 9 layers high then saran-wrapped for transport and moved by one of the two forklifts. Big operation. We quit about 13:00 and this is what was packed by all the volunteers today:
The farmer insisted that we all take home cantaloupes. He wouldn't let us take any of the rejects (which were just cosmetic) and I found one the smaller ones that he was happy about. It's still a lot for me by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment