Monday, May 29, 2017

Answers to great questions, and other musings on the way home

Well, a question that I've had for four years is  what the heck is the name of this cheese?  I have muddled through successfully for four years by asking for the tall cheese.
I'm not crazy, and it is the tallest cheese in the dairy case.  That is a standard coffee cup.  It is a bit salty and firm, mild like mozzarella, and I've eaten kgs of it.  It's kosher, widely available and reasonably priced, so I still think it's produced inside Israel.  But Israelis don't know what cheese I'm talking about. The standard Israeli cheeses are quite soft.  My dairy guy in the Carmel shuk has crummy handwriting, so his label didn't solve it. But today in the Jerusalem shuk, those nice dairy people had typed signs.  Ha!
The woman's hand is over part of it, but now we know.  It's garuzinit.  And it's a Georgian cheese.  With all the Russians, that makes sense.  I can have so much more dignity on the next trip.

This afternoon I got a limonana.  Not like we make at EEF.  See...
Really minty.  Not that I'm suggesting we make blended drinks, just that this what the original is like.  Yummy.

Another cosmic question is, can I travel in a skirt?  I only wear skirts in Israel (long, very functional), but I usually travel in trousers.  And showing up in Israel, I always feel like I'm out of uniform.  I wonder if going through El Al security might have gone a little smoother on the way in.  So I'm in my long, turquoise skirt, and we'll see.

The plan for the next few hours (I'm at the safest place on earth: Ben Gurion Airport): juggle the weight in my suitcase, change into a dry shirt, check in for my Southwest flight, and generally be an asset to the universe. Signing off for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment