Saturday, May 23, 2015

Finally getting to Israel

I last left you sitting on the floor at JFK.  I double checked with the El Al ticket agent when they opened, and she said to come back at 0930 because she wanted to call the NY office about my ticket change.  There was a 1030 flight with a bunch (50?) of young people on a Birthright trip, so it was very busy in the El Al check area.  At about 0910 the ticket agent came to me (!), and says she feels so sorry for me, and I am on this flight.  This flight??  Yes, just go.  Ok, you don't need to tell me twice.  Since I was a late addition to the flight, and a woman traveling alone, I got lots of security questions and bag checking.  Ok.  I get a boarding pass, the suitcase is checked in.  I'm moving.  Just keep moving.  Didn't need to run, but keep moving.  And then I'm on the plane!

Since I was a late addition to the plane, I wasn't a bit surprised to not get my special vegetarian meal for supper.  But I was surprised when I got a special breakfast with my name on it!  Anyway, LY04 landed at 0400 at the Tel Aviv airport.  I got through passport control, retrieved my suitcase, changed some money, and got a coffee to wait for Tel Aviv to wake up.  I figured that hanging out at the airport was better than waiting on the sidewalk for the apartment office to open.  I got to the apartment around 0900, and was helped up the four flights of stairs with my bag (that was nice).  The apartment isn't quite as posh as the website photos, but it's clean and I have a tiled roof space from which you can see the Mediterranean

I went to the shuk ha-Carmel and got tomatoes, scallions, cucumbers, lemons, olives, olive oil, milk, cheese, a beautiful cauliflower, challah, butter, tahini, and some pears. Ahh.  I think I'm ready for the long weekend now.  Shabbat shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment