Monday, May 25, 2015

Shabbat & Shavuot in Tel Aviv (שבת וחג שבועות בתל-אביב)

I had to run (actually walk) back the shuk at 3:00 on Friday because I had no salt!  You can't make Israeli food without salt!  Luckily the פרג (poppy=name) store in the shuk was still open and I procured some Red Sea salt.  Lots of stalls were locking up for the weekend, so I was happy to make my transaction and get back to preparing for Shabbat.  I made Israeli salad and cauliflower salad, and cleaned up dishes and myself (finally).  Lit candles, ate dinner alone, and crashed.

So, Shabbat and Shavuot were much quieter in Tel Aviv than I expected.  Yes, there were some taxis and private cars, and some open restaurants, but it was pretty quiet.  I read and snoozed and ate and gazed off my roof.  Not a surprise that I'm under an approach path for the airport.  The planes came in about each 30 minutes.  Without the trains or buses running, the taxis must do a great business on Shabbat.  And, of course, tour buses for Christian visitors.  No El Al flights, of course.

I think I could hear a celebration on the beach at about 5:00 on Sunday, but I didn't want to walk back in the dark alone.  A band set up in Magen David Square (כיכר מגן דוד) which is at the east entrance to the Shuk HaCarmel.  It sounded good, but I wanted to do a little laundry and make a phone call before I went downstairs, but now it's quietish so I missed it.

I read two books and rather feel like myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment