Friday, April 18, 2014

Beduoin shuk (שוק הבדואי)

Ok, everyone has been checking that I went to the Bedouin shuk, that is held on Thursday mornings.  So, today was to be the day.  Even remembering to take the camera.  But there was a schedule derailment - my older friend, for whom I have walked the dog, was locked in her bedroom with a door lock malfunction.  She asked me to come up and help.  We passed keys and tools through her ground level window, but eventually had to call a locksmith.  Thankfully, they spoke a little English, and assured her that he would come.  Well, lucky for all of us, he arrived in about 20 min.  It ultimately involved a sharp strike with a hammer, but the door opened, and then he repaired the lock.  His bill was only NIS200.
But I was still determined to go to the Bedouin shuk.  I went downtown to catch bus #17 (but that only runs once an hour).  My problem was that I wasn't certain where the shuk is located, and I knew there was a stop on this bus for it.  I got off the bus on Derech Eilat, which is a big road, but managed to cross it safely (obviously-I'm writing this).  However, the shuk was not the exotic locale I expected.  There were lots of shoes, and kids' clothes, and housewares - just like in the big shuk in Beer Sheva.  There was one artist, and one stall selling classic Bedouin dresses, but that was it.  I don't know what all the excitement is about.  I was expecting camels or chickens or baskets.  I saw no Bedouin crafts, not even a hookah.

1 comment:

  1. Why did I not notice the comments before? Anyway, just want to let you know that I am enjoying reading about all your adventures. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete