Monday, April 28, 2014

Yom HaShoah at Ben Gurion University

I attended the Holocaust remembrance event at Ben Gurion University.  There were at least 1000 people there, many standing through the hour-long event.
It began with the two-minute national siren when everyone stood in silence.  The program was all in Hebrew, but I certainly knew generally what was being discussed in general.  University dance and choir groups participated, along with speakers, and the traditional lighting of six lights in honor of the 6,000,000 Jews lost in the Holocaust.
The design is a modified BGU logo.

Source: BGU Facebook page
There was an original dance performed by the university dance troup that was very moving, titled "Barefoot." These photos are from the BGU Facebook page (I didn't take them).  The dancers came out one at a time and left their shoes neatly in one corner of the stage.  Once I saw shoes, I knew this would be a wrenching performance.  It was. One of the dancers had to leave the platform in tears.
At the end of the dance, one dancer just randomly piled up all the shoes, and stared at them.
Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment