Monday, April 14, 2014

Holiday greetings

I went running this morning in Beer Sheva River Park (פארק נהל באר שבע) as usual.  The lavender still scented my path, as did the geraniums.  There were goats, a few sheep and two horses grazing in the river bottom, and there's still water in the river.  I saw two groups of birds on the wall above me, who were fairly unimpressed with my presence.  I think they were Spur-winged lapwings (Vanellus spinosus) - common in Israel, and waders.  They were near the river, but I saw them on the wall.  You'll note in the Wikipedia link that there's even a photo from the Beer Sheva area.
Traffic was terrible today (again I was grateful that I'm not driving).  It's like the Wednesday before Thankgiving, since Passover begins tomorrow.  Everybody was out.  And in preparing my contributions to the seder meal at R. Friedman's, I did miss my kitchen and its accoutrements.  But I did prevail (with lots of elbow grease).  It's hard whisking egg whites to medium peaks in a plastic storage container.  But I really wanted to make the walnut/coffee flourless cake.  So I whipped.  And whipped.  It's out of the toaster oven now, and smells wonderful.  Next is the coffee/honey syrup that soaks into it.  Mmm.

I hope you had a nice Palm Sunday or Passover, whatever your tradition is.

No comments:

Post a Comment