Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thursday - to the shuk!

So now that I knew where the shuk was, it was time to go!  I took the #12 bus right to the shuk, and proceeded to look around.  It's big.  And wonderful.  And I thought Thursday would be a little more sane than Friday morning (when everyone's shopping for Shabbat).  The cauliflower is almost as big as a basketball, so I found a nice one and purchased it.  Of course, need some lemons and olive oil to go with it, so they were procured.  As well as some pistachios and hulled walnuts for snacking upon.  Then there were the eggs.  Now, I had asked my Hebrew teacher, Orit, about buying eggs, and she assured me that you get them in cartons, but there they were, not in cartons like I'm familiar.  I lurked about and watched someone else buy eggs.  Aha.  So they have eggs in 30 egg trays.  You decide which one you want, then they take a second tray, lay it on top, and tie it.  Oh.
Now that I had a bag of eggs, it was time to go home with it safely.  But I wasn't done shopping.  I emptied my shopping bags and went back.  Now one of the challenges for me is to make sure I can carry everything to the bus, and to my apartment.  So, I went back and got tomatoes, onions and garlic (to go with the eggs), olives, and strawberries (which are beautiful).  I located the cheese guy, who might be the only one there, and bought 0.5 kg of Israeli cheese.  Figuring this was a dairy place, I then proceeded to ask for butter - badly.  That poor man.  We did finally transact butter, but I probably won't need to buy anymore on this visit.  Had the consonants right, but not the vowels.  Don't know if I had my phrase book with me, which would have helped.  Israeli cheese is very white, like snow.  Sort of a salty, firmer version of mozzarella.  Good.

What would be the end to that perfect day?  Falafel.  I walked over to my neighborhood falafel place, limped through my order.  But you also get french fries, pickles, and salad.  I took it all home to eat, and had leftovers to go with my eggs in the morning.  It was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment