Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Wednesday - exciting day for Deb in Beersheva

Shlomo took me downtown with him so I could get a feel for the city while he did some errands.  We took the #12 bus, which goes through the Old City and also stops at the Beit Eschel shuk.  His son owns "Cafe Cafe" which is on the outside of the out-of-town bus station (where I arrived), so we sat down for a few minutes.  Deborah, his wife, works there, too, so I got to meet her.

Shlomo helped me negotiate internet service with Bezeq, which will be installed on Sunday.  Yeah!!

I met with Prof. Nurit Ashkenasy (materials engineering) at the university for lunch.  We went to an on-campus hummus place, that was just fine with me.  We talked about how I can help her efforts with the women engineering graduate students.  Then, we walked over to a coffee stand and talked some more.  Two other women faculty happened to walk through, and I got to meet Prof. Rachel Yerusalmi-Rozen (chemical engineering) and Prof. Alva Peled (structural engineering).  Very fortuitous.  Prof. Rachel invited to me to a seminar a little later that afternoon, and I thought, "Why not?"  Prof. Nurit allowed me (!) to check my email on her computer, for which I was quite grateful.  The seminar was part of a series on complex systems (not complex numbers like i, but complex in the common use of the word), titled, "Confidence and influence in ant colonies."  It was rather like "A Beautiful Mind."  While it was in English, I decided not to stay for the discussion period.  A little too odd a topic for me.

That evening was Tu b'Shvat, so I did a very modest observance by eating an apricot, some dried apple and some coconut.  I didn't have any grape juice to demonstrate the seasons, but I did observe the day a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment