Sunday, January 19, 2014

Tuesday's move to Beer Sheva

Beni took me to the central bus station in Jerusalem to catch the bus to Beer Sheva around lunch time.  We decided that one bus would be simpler than two trains with all my gear.  The trip is ~1.5 hours.  The intercity buses are big and have the luggage compartments underneath.
The sign says (#470 to Beer-Sheva.  Have a good trip."  I called Shlomo from the bus station and he asked me to take a cab.  The bus station is very busy and there's really no where to park (like in Jerusalem - Beni had to just drop me off and point me in the right direction).  The cab was only NIS25 (about $7), and Shlomo was waiting at the curb for me.

My apartment is tiny. And the photos that he had sent me were perfectly representative, but I had to see it to understand.  He took me to a little neighborhood grocer that evening, where I bought hummus, bread and juice.  He said the big supermarket is much cheaper, so just get essentials.  He pointed out a nearby felafel place and a pizza place.

I unpacked everything, including the kitchen box that arrived ahead of me.  The apartment has lots of cabinet work, so that was not a problem.  I need to get some bins for organizing small things. 

The kosher kitchen is all set up (easy when you start from scratch).  I don't have much, but I've got the basics of dairy and meat dishes and implements.  I brought blue and red tape with me to idiot-proof the kitchen.  Now I need to buy some more things like real forks and spoons (I brought a box of plastic picnicware), but first things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment