Thursday, June 5, 2014

Product reviews

In case anyone is interested, here's my assessment of a number of things I purchased for the trip
  • TravelSmith and Magellan's clothes - I have a number of items (including underwear) that are supposed to be quick-dry.  They are.  It's great.  Most things don't even wrinkle.
  • Eddie Bauer Travex clothes - are quick-dry, too.  They're very casual in styling, but very functional.  I also have a Cloud layer fleece sweatshirt that doesn't weigh much, dries quickly, and was nice and warm.
  • roll-up hat -  This hat also performs as advertised.  I keep it rolled up in my backpack, and then unroll it when I need it.  I'm amazed.
  • Canon PowerShot SX-40 - outstanding.  You've seen the photos.  I learned on my last trip to Israel that a camera only with a back flat screen is worthless.  There's too much glare here to see what the camera sees.  This camera has a viewfinder that is essential in bright light.  It also has a rotatable flat screen that I've used to hold over my head to take some great photos in crowds.  And the battery life is amazing.  I've only charged it a couple times.  This is an SLR, but does not have interchangeable lenses.  I purchased a small, padded case for it after I arrived.  I couldn't be happier with the camera.
  • purse/wallet - I purchased RFID secure items, because Israel is techy enough that I should be concerned about somebody snooping on my debit card.  That's what I use all the time, so I don't know if I was right to be worried.
  • Credit union account - I have just been moving small amounts into the account for my debit card, just in case something fraudulent happens.  I'm very pleased with Community America's web interface - it's working great from Israel.
  • New Balance socks - I have a bunch of low-profile running socks.  The New Balance ones have extra padding on the bottom.  I wear them almost every day.  They don't dry as fast as the clothes mentioned above, but I'm happy to give them an extra six hours to dry.  Feet are important.
  • Kindle Paperwhite - it's great.  I probably only charge it once a week or less.  Since it can be difficult finding books in English, it's great just downloading them.
  • Avon phone charger - this was a gift from a friend.  It's great having extra electrons on the road.  When I'm using GPS-based apps on my phone, the phone battery gets depleted quickly, so it's good having a little charger on me.
  • Moovit app for smartphones - has given me great freedom and independence in traveling.  Not only does it give routes with buses or trains, but it estimates arrival times of the next one, and once I'm on the bus, it lets me know which stop to get off at (that's one of the most helpful features in an unfamiliar city).  I'm able to take buses in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem that I would have great difficulty deciding to take if I was only using Google maps, etc.
  • Gifts - Wizard of Oz things and UMKC Kangaroos have been a big hit, but the little tornado things are a dud.  They're heavy, and people don't get it. 
  • luggage scale - now that bag limits are down to 50 lbs, it's good to know where you stand before you go to the airport (it used to be 70 lbs).  I have a little one that I take with me.  I will be using it in a few weeks.
  • travel journal - I never thought I would keep a travel journal because of the blog (and because I've never kept a journal), but the blog is very public, and my little journal has some things that are not appropriate for the blog (boring, political, religious, etc.) 
  • make-up -  I only brought a little, figuring I could always buy some here (which I could), but most women don't wear any and it's hot.  I've only worn it when I've given seminars.
  • Dead Sea products - Ahava is great, but it's really expensive, even here.  Even at the Dead Sea.  Sea of Spa, H&B, and C&B are nice-quality Dead Sea care lines.  That's what we'll be selling at the Israel booth at the Ethnic Enrichment Festival. I have Sea of Spa sun block (is SPF 15 really sun block?  It's enough for me, but really) that feels nice and keeps me from getting sunburned.  I think the big tube was under NIS50.  And I have H&B mineral soap that is the best (we'll also have that at the Israel booth).
  •  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment