Sunday, June 8, 2014

Shabbat in Jerusalem

I planned to attend a performance of the Israel Festival on Friday afternoon, and I wasn't at all certain that I could get back to Beer Sheva after that, so I booked a hotel room in West Jerusalem.  The dance performance was a collaboration of two Israeli and American companies, and was very good.  The two pieces were titled "The Gate of Winds" and "Times Bones."  Since I only needed one ticket, I lucked out with a great seat (fifth row, center).  I was able to catch a city bus from the theater to my hotel after the performance.
Jerusalem Theater
I was impressed by some textile art inside the theater.  This piece is entirely textile - there is no paint at all.

I purchased a few items at the Mahane Yehuda market in the morning on Friday, and brought some plastic silverware so that I could eat supper in my hotel room.  The hotel had breakfast included, so that wasn't a problem.  And I had learned that I could walk to services in the morning on Saturday (10:00-12:30), so that's what I did.

This, however, left a lot of down-time on Saturday until the buses started running at 2030.  I had snacks, water and a book to read, so I was a migrant reader.  The nose got a little sunburned, but otherwise no complaints.  Jerusalem is very quiet on Shabbat, but there was a surprising number of taxis and a few civilian cars, so you still had to be careful crossing the roads.  But all the businesses and restaurants were closed.  I didn't stay late enough to see the city awake up after the sabbath, because I wanted to get home to Beer Sheva.

1 comment:

  1. Very understandable. Wanting to get home to Beer Sheva.

    ReplyDelete