Sunday, June 29, 2014

Last trip to the shuk (שוק העירוני בבאר שבע)

Let me begin with a confession.  I really wanted to take some photos of the shuk, but I didn't want to look like a dweeb.  The big shuks in Jerusalem (Mahane Yehuda) and Tel Aviv (Carmel Market) are always full of tourists with cameras, so it's been easy to blend in there with a camera.  But this is my home shuk, and we don't have tourists with cameras there.  Just civilians of every color and creed.  But this was my last chance, and if I looked stupid, well, they might not see me again.

Now one of the things I like so much about the shuk, besides the fresh produce, is that it's intensely personal.  So, I photographed my regular vendors today.  I haven't been loyal to the same egg seller and only have purchased olives and spices once or twice, but these five vendors are my regular go-to people on just about a weekly basis.

First, my poor Russian dairyman.  I think he just shudders when I walk up, because my Hebrew is so rough.  But I'm always polite and patient and don't argue.  Today, I thought I finally learned the name of the cheese I like, which I have defaulted to call the 'tall cheese' (גבינה גבוהה) because it is the tallest cheese (I can point it out in the photo!) he has, but a friend said it's probably called Safed cheese (גבינה צפתית).  So I confidently asked for that and he pointed to something that wasn't what I wanted.  We worked out our last transaction in the usual way - pointing.
Then I went to my nuts and gummi bear (for Anna F.) vendor (פיצוחי באסם) and bought some snacks for the plane.  When I took the photo, he (in the black shirt) waved me back, poured me a glass of Coke, and wanted to talk.  So we talked as well as I could participate.  One guy in the shop asked if I was from the newspaper (a word I know!!), to which I replied, they're just for me.  It was great.

Then I went to my green grocer lady who has always been so friendly to me (lettuce, broccoli, scallions, mint, microgreens, cabbage, etc.).  I didn't need things from her today, but explained that I was leaving and wanted to say goodbye.  I learned that her name is Olga.  And she asked me when I would return, and I said I didn't know when.
I have been loyal to this fruit vendor the whole time (מרכז הפירות), but I didn't need any fruit today.
And then there's the tomato/cucumber/onions/etc. guy, from whom I did procur tomatoes and cucumbers today.
I'm so glad I was brave and brought my camera.  It even spurred some conversations, not rancor.  I hope you like the photos, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment