Monday, May 21, 2018

Shabbat/Shavuot report


I decided to up my religious game on this trip and find somewhere to go for services.  My plan was to attend a Chabad synagogue near my old apartment, but then I walked past a closer one on my way back from the grocery store.  So I attended Chabad by the Coast on Saturday morning.  It's a classic orthodox synagogue with the women sequestered, but there was a lovely respect of the women's section that I haven't seen before: 1. The man processing the Torah brought it over to the edge of the women's section for women to touch, and 2. when they took prayer requests, they specifically asked us for concerns.  Very nice.  Of course we were quiet but other synagogues which I've attended completely ignored us.  It was nice being respected.

Now, I personally was ignored (really, the tall lady looks familiar?), but I can (incredulously) live with that.  You would be proud - I tracked really well with the service.

They had an all-night Tikkun, but I didn't participate.  I went back Sunday morning for the Shavuot shakrit service and the reading of the Ten Words.  I didn't get the "wear white" memo, but I wasn't the only one in colored clothes. Again ignored but respected.

As for the home stand, it was nice being in a real apartment and having lots of dishes.  I had a sink full by Sunday night, but I didn't have to do dishes on Shabbat/Shavuot.  They're washed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment