Sunday, May 27, 2018

Vitamin D and other news

Today (Sunday) I took a walk down at the beach to renew my vitamin D stores and work on my tan.  I really should have brought my running gear because the beach promenade would be a great place.  It's continuous (no up and down street crossings) and it's pretty flat.  Oh well.

I saw two interesting tour groups: a Birthright group on bicycles (n~25), and a smaller group on Segways (n~10). The Mediterranean was beautiful.  I walked pretty far north, then turned around to head back for lunch.  There are two things that just aren't fun alone: going to the beach, and eating in restaurants.

I went to services at Chabad on Saturday.  The rabbi did an interesting midrash on the Birchat HaCohen (the Preistly Blessing in Num 6:24-26).  No one did a midrash last week.  Then the rest of Shabbat was just glorious with temperatures in the 70s.

As for my own news, I now have an answer that I can share.  When I went to Ariel on Wednesday, I asked the chairman for a job.  He was enthusiastic and asked if I could teach a class this summer (starting 16 July)!!  In mostly Hebrew.  I'm moderately confident about speaking in class, but not confident about understanding questions from the students.  Well, it's too late in the game to get enrollment in a new class, so that's off for this year.  Probably on for next year.  And he's developing a hydraulic track and needs faculty (right now they have structures, environmental, transportation, and construction management).  But we're in discussions.  And I have time to work on the teaching thing with Orit. I also carefully evaluated the bus stops for the bus to Ariel to help choose a living location, should that come to pass.  Learned some important things (about bus stops).  My friends here in Israel are very eager for me to get a position.

Actually, teaching the course this summer word have put a serious dent in two important commitments: that little Ethnic Enrichment event in August, and an engineering education conference that I'm chairing in September.  G-d is in charge.  Of. Everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment