Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A proper trip to Tsin Canyon


I left early to Sde Boqer to be a tourist before I gave my seminar.  That was a good reason on two counts:  it's cooler in the morning, and it got dusty in the afternoon today.  The #65 bus dropped me off on the highway, which would have been weird except that I could see where I needed to walk.  But being dropped off alone on the highway in the desert is sobering.

Walk from the bus stop
Entrance to En Avedat Park:
I thought I needed to buy a park ticket, but I didn't.  I did receive a park brochure, and directions to walk along the top of the canyon.  Since I was alone and time-limited, I did not attempt to walk down to the river (נחל צין). 

Buses and cars can drive down there, and one would have a great chance of observing wildlife (like ibexes (יעלים)) - Tsin River is perennial and always has flow.

The walkway began after the Ben Gurion gravesite.  I thanked G-d for Ben Gurion's life.
Walk to the gravesite
David Ben Gurion's grave

The graves are to the left of the photo.
View to south

View to north

It was absolutely hypnotic.  It was like I couldn't stop gazing.  There was no time.  I kept stopping, not just to take photos, but to gaze, and thank G-d.  One of the good things about being alone in the desert, is that my singing would not offend anyone (halachically).  The only song that came to mind (over and over) was "And the glory of the L-rd" from the beginning (#4) of Handel's "Messiah."  There was a little bench and table set up along the path that faced the canyon, so I stopped to drink water and have second-breakfast.  More marveling.

The canyon walk continued into the next park.
I managed to start back in plenty of time to ready myself for my seminar, but it was like tearing myself away.

I got a ride back to Beer Sheva later in the afternoon with two graduate students, and I got confirmation from the Israeli student that while we don't know why, but we just want to look at the amazing scenery.  I took more photos, but they look like these.

This website has an interesting video from March 2014 of desert hydrology, and specifically Nahal Tsin:
http://www.timesofisrael.com/negev-rivers-rebirth-caught-on-film/


No comments:

Post a Comment