Monday, May 12, 2014

Weekend update

I went early to Jerusalem on Friday to meet a friend for coffee before another meeting with friends.  She took me over to the old train station, which has been remade into a very tony shuk.  It's near this fountain
from which I caught a glimpse of the Montefiore windmill, which I read about in my Hebrew lessons, have as an iconic part of the Jerusalem cityscape on numerous items in my house, but which I had not actually seen until Friday.

I took the city bus back to the bus station, and since the bus had been decorated on the inside for Yom HaAtzmaut, I managed to be the last one off, and grabbed a photo.

I met Anna F. at the bus station and brought her to Beer Sheva for Shabbat.  This was a transition stop between her first month in Ofra and her volunteer work in Sderot.  I got us invited to Shabbat supper at Shlomo and Devorah's, which, of course, was just delightful.  Let me say to the world that Devorah is a wonderful cook.
Anna and I spent a quiet Shabbat together, and went down to Glida Beer Sheva (גלידה באר שבע) for ice cream after Saturday sundown.  She got a cone with strawberry and mocha scoops, and I got a bowl with caramel and mocha scoops.  Mmm.
I took her out for shakshuka Sunday morning.  I bought a sachlav for her to try, but she's not crazy about rose water, which is a key flavor in sachlav, so I finished as much as I could.  Sachlav is very filling (kind of the Israeli hot version of Carnation Instant Breakfast, but WAY better (if you like rose water)).  I took her to the bus station to catch the #383 bus to Sderot in the early afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment