Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Foodie report from Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is a great city to eat in, although I've heard that there are not enough kosher restaurants.  I had some great culinary experiences, so if you want to read, I'll tell you about them.

Tuesday morning I went to Benedict for breakfast.  I had read in a visit magazine that this restaurant had won the  best breakfast award for several years in a row.  Their signature dish, as you might guess, is Eggs Benedict.  I got an outside table, and ordered the special:  Eggs Benedict Caprese with a cappuccino (קפה הפוך).  It came with an Israeli salad and unlimited bread (with butter, jam, and Nutella).
There's toast under all those grilled onions, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, balsamic vinegar and Eggs Benedict.  Isn't it beautiful?  I felt like a restaurant critic photographing the food.  But it all was huge.  I didn't quite finish the salad, nor even the bread they brought at the beginning.  It was wonderful.  If you're in Tel Aviv, you should go.  They're open 24/7.  It's not a huge place.

Next report was from Tuesday evening.  I returned to Meze, where I had eaten in an earlier visit.  They have lots of vegetarian options, and it's near my hotel.  I got another outside table, a tahini trio (special, beet, healthy) with spelt pita, and a salad of goat cheese, beets (raw!), walnuts, sliced figs and greens with an apple vinaigrette.  Report on the tahinis:  the special was toasted sesame (yummy), the beet was pretty, but very beety.  The healthy had coriander in it - also yummy.  I put quite a dent in the tahinis.  I got a lemon verbena iced tea, and a Turkish coffee as a finish.  Very nice.
Only other remarkable report, was when I met a friend from Ben Gurion University on Monday.  We ate at Suzannah in Neve Tsion (near Yafo).  The supper was very good (tabooli, grape leaves, salad).  I got an almond drink that was very nice.  Not almond milk - a clear drink with some mint in it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment