Saturday, May 24, 2014

Preparing for a guest (אורחת)

Anna F. is returning to my tiny apartment for the weekend.  I'm taking the opportunity to do some actual shopping at the shuk in Jerusalem (מחנה יהודה) for the occasion.  I've got to increase my inventory of meat dishes, so I purchased some disposableware at the shuk in Beer Sheva.  And she's fond of kosher gummi bears and sunflower seeds, so I laid in a supply of those, too.

I found a good place to procure salads at the Mahane Yehuda shuk, so I got stuffed grape leaves (!), tabooli (yeah!), and a carrot salad that's a little too spicy to buy again.  Then I bought challah and breakfasty pastries at a bakery.  Also bought a small red cabbage (כרוב אדום קטן) to make the best (Israeli) coleslaw ever.  And she liked it, too.

P.S. She had asked if she could do laundry here, which was fine.  I asked why, and here's the funny answer:  the charity she's volunteering at in Sderot has a clothing donation program, and volunteers have had their laundry pilfered before, so she was counseled not dry her laundry there!  I'm just glad everything dried before she left on Sunday morning.  That's one great thing about living in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment