Sunday, May 4, 2014

Yom HaZikaron at Ben Gurion University (updated)

The turnout at today's Memorial Day ceremony was not quite as robust as the turnout for Holocaust Remembrance Day (see note below with update).  But the chairs were set up in the shade, which I appreciated because it will be 100 degrees this afternoon.  I took a few photos during sound check.  The national siren for Yom HaZikaron  will sound tomorrow morning at 11:00.
The BGU flag is wrapped around the pole.  The flame matches one on the dais for the ceremony.
The ceremony began with a reading of names (BGU students/alumni who died in action?).  There were some addresses from dignitaries, including an IDF officer, two songs, El Ma'ale Rachamim, and the singing of HaTikvah.

I didn't see all the people behind me.  I think from this photo that there were a lot of people there.
Source:  BGU's facebook page.  I'm in the bottom right corner in the blue skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment