Saturday, May 17, 2014

מחנה יהודה - (Mahane Yehuda shuk)



I finally made it to the shuk in Jerusalem this morning.  I was meeting a friend for coffee and asked to meet there.  There's a light rail stop labelled "Mahane Yehuda", but it doesn't stop immediately in front (it's about two blocks up the hill on Jaffa Street).  I recognized the sunshade from photos in my cookbooks, so I knew I was in the right location.  It has only one big aisle from Jaffa Street to Agrippa Street.  The shops are much deeper even than at Carmel Market in Tel Aviv, and they even have some prepared foods, like salads, not just basic materials.  There are at least two cheese vendors, and at least three halvah vendors (wow, I have to check that out more carefully - one of the places looked like it had 25 different types of halvah).
Then in some side streets from the main shuk street, they have actual restaurants (but I was there too early in the morning for them to be open).  Very charming.  Of course, we had coffee at a place outside the shuk that she really likes, but I have my bearings now.  I shall return!

No comments:

Post a Comment