Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bauhaus White City in Tel Aviv

I arrived at the Bauhaus Center at 99 Dizengoff early on Monday to take the audio, self-guided tour of the White City.  Of course, the audio tour pointed out a number of aspects that I wouldn't have known.  Like the Bauhaus style changed architecture from a mass-based style to a volume-based style (where the balconies take up volume in a light way).  Here are a few of my photos.

Part of Dizengoff Circle
The "Thermometer" building - an intentional design by the architect.
You can see through to the central garden courtyard of this large, double building.
The tour emphasized how important gardens and trees were to the Bauhaus design, in fact it was difficult to see some of the buildings because of the trees (a wonderful problem).  I could see how the trees had grown up from the vantage point of my balcony.
From my hotel room balcony on the 6th floor
A modern building capturing the style.

We're pretty proud of our fountains in Kansas City, but we don't have anything like this.  The rotation, special sprays, and music are only periodic.  When I first saw it, I thought it was just a pretty fountain, more colorful than most.  I'm glad I could capture it on video for you (I'm even happier with my camera now).  This is in the elevated walkway above Dizengoff Circle.

And no Dr. O'Bannon walk-about would be complete without noticing the infrastructure:
Center of the manhole cover says City of Tel Aviv-Yafo
And walking (and taking the bus) around Tel Aviv and Neve Tsion, it's amazing to see the extent of the Bauhaus architecture.  It is by no means limited to the Dizengoff area.

No comments:

Post a Comment